Elspeth M. Mcdougall
Professor of Urology; Director, Surgical Education Institute; Director, Research in Medical Education
2009-2013 Chair, Office of Education – American Urological Association
|education; computer simulation; virtual reality surgical simulation training; laparoscopy; robotic surgery; endoscopic surgery; renal cryotherapy; kidney cancer; kidney stones; ureter stricture|
Dr. McDougall has been chairperson of the AUA Laparoscopy Committee and coordinated the Ad Hoc Surgical Simulation Group with the American Urological Association. She has now assumed the position as Chair of the American Urological Association Office of Education. She is on the editorial boards of the Journal of Endourology and the Journal of the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons. She is Past President of the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons and was awarded the Excel Award by this multidisciplinary surgical society in 2007. She is a member of the World Congress of Endourology's Scientific Meeting Advisory Committee. She is an elected member to the prestigious American Association of Genitourinary Surgeons and was a junior council member for that organization from 2007 – 2009.
Dr. Elspeth McDougall was awarded the 2010 Excellence In Teaching Award from the Department of Urology. She will also be going on sabbatical from August 2010 to July 2011 to initiate educational and surgical training programs in China, through collaborative efforts by the University of Western Ontario, the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada, and the American Urological Association Office of Education.
Patients benefit from these research findings with less-invasive surgeries, less blood loss and reduced recovery times. Their findings, which have been adapted to the operating room and bedside, include:
• Expanding the use of laparoscopic minimally invasive surgery for a number of disorders, including kidney removal for benign disease and for cancer, correction of urinary tract obstruction, and application of laparoscopy to various aspects of pediatric urology.
• Discovering a close relationship between urinary incontinence and attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder. These findings could help reverse this urinary disorder with special treatment for children with ADHD.
• Using newly developed technology (often first tested in the UC Irvine urology laboratory) for better endoscopic treatment of patients with kidney and ureteral stones.
LIST OF ABSTRACTS
THE EFFECT OF CHITOSAN ON UROTHELIAL PERMEABILITY, URETERAL INTRALUMINAL DRUG ADMINISTRATION AND PERISTALSIS
COMPARISON OF TACTILE SENSATION AND VISUAL FEEDBACK IN THE DA VINCI ROBOT AND CONVENTIONAL LAPAROSCOPIC TRAINER MODELS
FOLLOW-UP EVALUATION OF A GENITOURINARY SKILLS TRAINING COURSE FOR MEDICAL STUDENTS
PRELIMINARY RESULTS OF A PROSPECTIVE RANDOMIZED TRIAL OF TUBELESS FLOSEAL VS TUBELESS FASCIAL STITCH VS COPE LOOP NEPHROSTOMY PERCUTANEOUS NEPHROLITHOTOMY (PCNL)
FEASIBILITY AND UTILITY OF A CLIP APPLYING EXERCISE FOR THE FUNDAMENTALS OF LAPAROSCOPIC SURGERY TECHNICAL SKILLS CURRICULUM
DIAGNOSIS OF PROSTATE CANCER WITHOUT TUMOR CELLS USING DIFFERENTIALLY EXPRESSED GENES IN THE TUMOR MICROENVIRONMENT
SIMPLE PERCUTANEOUS URETERAL STENTING TECHNIQUE FOR PEDIATRIC ROBOTIC PYELOPLASTY
DIFFERENCES IN GRIP FORCES AMONG VARIOUS ROBOTIC INSTRUMENTS AND DA VINCI SURGICAL PLATFORMS
THE USE OF ELECTROSPUN POLY CAPROLACTONE SCAFFOLDS FOR BLADDER AND URETHRAL SUBSTITUTION IN A RABBIT MODEL
SIMPLE REAL TIME CRYOABLATION ISOTHERM DETERMINATION
OPTIMAL FREEZE CYCLE IN RENAL CRYOTHERAPY
ASSESSMENT OF A NOVEL DISSECTING SUCTION IRRIGATOR INSTRUMENT
THE USE OF SINGLE LUNG HIGH-FREQUENCY OSCILLATING VENTILATION TO MINIMIZE MOVEMENT OF UPPER ABDOMINAL ORGANS DURING HIGH-PRECISION PERCUTANEOUS INTERVENTIONS
FOLLOW-UP EVALUATION OF A GENITOURINARY SKILLS TRAINING CURRICULUM FOR MEDICAL STUDENTS
ASSESSMENT OF FACE AND CONTENT VALIDITY OF A VIRTUAL REALITY LAPAROSCOPIC TRANSPERITONEAL NEPHRECTOMY TRAINER
OVERCOMING THE UROTHELIAL BARRIER: THE EFFECT OF CHITOSAN ON URETERAL INTRALUMINAL DRUG ADMINISTRATION AND PERISTALSIS
FOLLOW-UP EVALUATION OF A GENITOURINARY SKILLS TRAINING CURRICULUM FOR MEDICAL STUDENTS
ASSESSMENT OF FACE AND CONTENT VALIDITY OF A VIRTUAL REALITY > LAPAROSCOPIC TRANSPERITONEAL NEPHRECTOMY TRAINER
ORIGINAL REPORTS - PEER REVIEWED
191. G.W. Hruby, P.C. Sprenkle, C.S. Abdelshehid, R.V. Clayman, E.M. McDougall, J. Landman.
The EZ Trainer: Validation of a Portable and Inexpensive Simulator for Training Basic
Laparoscopic Skills: J Urol 2008; 179(2): 662-666.
192. J.F. Borin, L.A. Deane, L.G. Sala, C.S. Abdelshehid, S.M. White, A.K. Poulson, F.Khan, R.A.
Edwards, E.M. McDougall, R.V. Clayman. Comparison of healing after cystotomy and repair
with fibrin Glue and Sutured Closure in the Porcine Model: J Endourol 2008; 22(1): 145 - 150.
193. G.R. Wignall, J.D. Denstedt, G.M. Preminger, J.A. Cadeddu, M.S. Pearle, R.M. Sweet, E.M. McDougall. Surgical simulation: a urological perspective. J Urol 2008; 179(5): 1690 - 1699.
194. G.N. Box, H.J. Lee, R.J. Santos, J.B. Abraham, M.K. Louie, A.J. Gamboa, R. Alipanah, L.A.Deane, E.M. McDougall, R.V. Clayman. Rapid Communication: Robot-Assisted NOTES Nephrectomy: Initial Report. J Endourol 2008; 22(3): 503 - 506.
195. S.M. Beck, D.S. Finley, G.N. Box, D.J. Vajgrt, A.B. Wong, D.E. Morrison, N. Kudrick, E.M. McDougall, R.V. Clayman. High-Frequency Oscillatory Ventilatory Support During CT-Guided Percutaneous Cryotherapy of Renal Masses. J Endourol. 2008; 22(5): 923 – 926.
196. L.A. Deane, H.J. Lee, G.N. Box, O. Melamud, D.S. Yee, J.B. Abraham, D.S. Finley, J.F. Borin,
E.M. McDougall, R.V. Clayman, D.K. Ornstein. Robotic versus standard laparoscopic
Partial/Wedge Nephrectomy: A Comparison of Intraoperative and Perioperative Results from a
Single Institution. J Endourol 2008; 22(5): 947 – 952.
197. P.D. Vlaovic, E.R. Sargent, J.R. Boker, F.A. Corica, D.S. Chou, C.S. Abdelshehid, S.M. White, L.G. Sala, F.Chu, T. Le, R.V. Clayman, E. M. McDougall. Immediate Impact of an Intensive One-Week Laparoscopy Training Program on Laparoscopic Skills among Postgraduate Urologists: JSLS 2008; 12: 1 – 8.
198. M.S. Pearle, J.E. Lingeman, R. Leveillee, R. Kuo, G.M. Preminger, R.B. Nadler, J. Macaluso,
M. Monga, U. Kumar, J. Dushinski, D.M. Albala, J.S. Wolf Jr., D. Assimos, M. Fabrizio, L.C. Munch, S.Y. Nakada, B. Auge, J. Honey, K. Ogan, J. Pattaras, E.M. McDougall, T.D. Averch,
T. Turk, P. Pietrow, S. Watkins. Prospective randomized trial comparing shock wave lithotripsy and ureteroscopy for lower pole caliceal calculi 1 cm or less.
J Urol 2008; 179 (5 Suppl): S69 - 73.
199. L.A. Deane, H.J. Lee, G.N. Box, J.B.A. Abraham C.S. Abdelshehid, E.R. Elchico, R.
Alipanah, J.F. Borin, R.W. Johnson, D.J. Jackson, E. M. McDougall, and R.V. Clayman.
Flank position is associated with higher skin-to-surface interface pressures in men versus women: Implications for laparoscopic renal surgery and the risk of rhabdomyolysis. J Endourol 2008; 22(6): 1147-1151.
200. D.S. Finley, S. Beck, G. Box, W. Chu, L. Deane, D.J. Vajgrt, E.M. McDougall, and R.V. Clayman. Percutaneous and laparoscopic cryoablation of small renal masses. J Urol 2008; 180(2): 492-498.
201. J.B. Abraham, C.S. Abdelshehid, H.J. Lee, R. Alipanah, L.A. Andrade, E.R. Sargent, G.N. Box, L.A. Deane, E.M. McDougall, and R.V. Clayman. LapED 4-in-1 silicone training aid for practicing laparoscopic skills and tasks: a preliminary evaluation. J Endourol 2008; 22(6): 1351-1357.
202. H.J. Lee, G.N. Box, J. Benito, A. Abraham, L.A. Deane, E.R. Elchico, B.H. Eisner, E.M. McDougall, and R.V. Clayman. In vitro evaluation of nitinol urological retrieval coil and ureteral occlusion device: Retropulsion and Holmium laser fragmentation efficiency. J Uro 2008; 180(3): 969 – 973.
203. H.J. Lee, G.N. Box, J.B. Abraham, E.R. Elchico, R.A. Panah, M.B. Taylor, R. Moskowitz, L.A. Deane, E.M. McDougall, and R.V. Clayman. Laboratory evaluation of laparoscopic vascular clamps using a load-cell device – are all clamps the same? J Urol 2008; 180(4): 1267 – 1272.
204. J.M. Phillips, N. Narula, L.A. Deane, G.N. Box, H.J. Lee, D.K. Ornstein, E.M. McDougall, and R.V. Clayman. Histological evaluation of cold versus hot cutting: Clinical impact on margin status for laparoscopic partial nephrectomy. J Urol 2008; 180 (6): 2348-2352.
205. G.M. Box, H.J.Lee, J.B. Abraham, L.A.Deane, E.R. Elchico, C.A. Abdelshehid, R.Alipanah, M.B. Taylor, L. Andrade, R.A.Edwards, J.F.Borin, E.M. McDougall and R.V.Clayman.
Comparative study of in vivo lymphatic sealing capability of the porcine thoracic duct using laparoscopic dissection devices. J Urol 2009 Jan;181(1):387-91.
206. A.J. Gamboa, R.T. Santos, E.R. Sargent, M.K.Louie, G.N. Box, K.H. Sohn, H. Truong, R. Lin, A. Khosravi, R. Santos, D.K. Ornstein, T.E. Ahlering, D.R.Tyson, R.V.Clayman and E.M. McDougall. Long-term impact of a robot assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy mini fellowship training program on postgraduate urological practice patterns. J Urol 2009 Feb;181(2):778-82.
207. J.B. Abraham, A.J. Gamboa, D.S.Finley, S.M. Beck, H.J.Lee, R.Santos, G.N. Box, L.A. Deane, D.J. Vajgrt, E.M. McDougall, and R.V. Clayman. The UCI Seldinger technique for percutaneous renal cryoablation: Protecting the tract and achieving hemostasis. J Endourol 2009; 23(1): 43-49.
208. A.G. Kaplan, S.B. Kolla, A.J. Gamboa, G.N. Box, M.K. Louie, L. Andrade, R. Santos, J.M. Gan, R.M. Moskowitz, C. Shell, W. Gustin, R.V. Clayman, and E.M. McDougall. Preliminary evaluation of a genitourinary skills training curriculum for medical students. J Urol 2009 Aug 182, 668-673.
209. A.J. Gamboa, G.N. Box, G.M. Preminger, and E.M. McDougall. NOTES: education and training. J Endourol 2009 May; 23(5):813-9.
210. G.N. Box, H.J. Lee, J.B. Abraham, L.A. Deane, R.J. Santos, E.R. Elchico, A. Khosravi, C.A. Abdelshehid, R. Alipanah, K. Li, R.M. Moskowitz, J.M. Philips, R.A. Edwards, J.F. Borin, E.M. McDougall, and R.V. Clayman. Evaluation of the outcomes of electrosurgical induced bowel injury treated with tissue glue/sealant versus sutured repair in a rabbit model. J Endourol 2009 March; 23(3): 535-40.
211. A. Krebs, L.A. Deane, J.F. Borin, R.A. Edwards, L.G. Sala, F. Khan, C. Abdelshehid, E.M. McDougall, and R.V. Clayman. The “buoy” stent: evaluation of a prototype indwelling ureteric stent in a porcine model. BJU Int 2009; 104: 88-92.
212. P.G. Sountoulides, O.G. Kaufmann, A.G. Kaplan, M.K. Louie, E.M. McDougall and R.V. Clayman. Laparoscopic renal surgery. Minerva Chirurgica 2009 Aug; (64): 373-394.
213. J.L. Young, M.K. Louie, C.G. Ortiz-Vanderdys, D.W. McCormick, V.B. Huynh, A.G. Kaplan, N.S. Jain, D.L. Pick, L.A. Andrade, K.E. Osann, S.B. Kolla, P.S. Sountoulides, O.G. Kaufmann, E.M. McDougall and R.V. Clayman. Impact of pneumoperitoneum on renal cryotherapy. J Endourol 2009; Sept 23(9): 1451-1455.
214. E.M. McDougall, S.B. Kolla, R.T. Santos, J.M. Gan, G.N. Box, M.K. Louie, A.J.R. Gamboa, A.G. Kaplan, R.M. Moskowitz, L.A. Andrade, D.W. Skarecky, K.E. Osann and R.V. Clayman. Preliminary study of virtual reality and model simulation for learning laparoscopic suturing skills. J Urol 2009 Sept; 182: 1018-1025.
215. P.G. Sountoulides, O.G. Kaufman, M.K. Louie, S.Beck, N. Jain, A. Kaplan, E.M. McDougall and R.V. Clayman. Endoscopy-guided percutaneous nephrostolithotomy: Benefits of ureteroscopic access and therapy. J Endourol 2009; Oct 23(10): 1649-1654.
216. O.G. Kaufman, P. Sountoulides, A. Kaplan, M. Louie, E.M. McDougall and R.V. Clayman. Skin treatment and tract closure for tubeless percutaneous nephrolithotomy: University of California, Irvine, technique. J Endourl 2009; Oct 23(10): 1739-1741.
217. J.L. Young, S.B. Kolla, D.L. Pick, P.Sountoulides, O.G. Kaufman, C.G. Ortiz-Vanderdys, V.B. Huynh, A.G. Kaplan, L.A. Andrade, K.E. Osann, M.K. Louie, E.M. McDougall and R.V. Clayman. In vitro, ex vivo and in vivo isotherms for renal cryotherapy. J. Urol 2010 Feb; 183(2): 752-758.
218. N. Jain, R.V. Clayman and E.M. McDougall. Nephroptosis. eMedicine from WebMD Jan. 7, 2010.
219. M.K. Louie, A.J.R. Gamboa, A.G. Kaplan, A. Khosravi, H. Truong, L. Andrade, R. Lin, R. Alipanah, C. Ortiz, D. McDormick, G.N. Box, H.J. Lee, L.A. Deane, R.A. Edwards, E.M. McDougall and R.V. Clayman. Bovine serum albumin glutaraldehyde for completely sutureless laparoscopic heminephrectomy in a survival porcine model. J Endourol 2010; Mar 24(3): 451-455.
220. J.L. Young, P. Sountoulides, S.B. Kolla, D.L. Pick, O.B. Kaufmann, V.B. Huynh, A.G. Kaplan, C. Ortiz, M.K. Louie, L.A. Andrade, K.E. Osann, E.M. McDougall, R.V. Clayman: Ice Burn: Protecting the Flank During Renal Cryotherapy. J Endourol 2010 Jan 21 (Epub ahead of print)
25. R.V. Clayman, E.M. McDougall, and R.S. Figenshau: Nephroscopy and intrarenal surgery: Percutaneous approaches. In Clinical Urography, Second Edition, H.M. Pollack and B.L. McClennan (eds), W.B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, PA, 2000, pp 3330 – 3334.
26. M.D. Dunn, and E.M. McDougall: Renal physiology: Laparoscopic considerations. In Urologic Clinics of North America, S.B. Streem and I.S. Gill (eds), W.B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, PA, 2000, 27: 609 – 614.
27. A.L. Shalhav, A.J. Portis, E.M. McDougall, M. Patel, and R.V. Clayman: Laparoscopic Nephroureterectomy: A new standard for the surgical management of upper tract transitional cell cancer. In Urologic Clinics of North America, S.B. Streem and I.S. Gill (eds) W.B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, PA, 2000, 27: 761 - 773.
28. E.M. McDougall: Laparoscopic management of female urinary incontinence. In Urologic Clinics of North America, S. Das (ed) W.B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, PA, 2001, 28: 145 – 150.
29. J. Landman, E.M. McDougall, I.S. Gill, and R.V. Clayman: Adult laparoscopic urology. In Adult and Pediatric Urology, J.Y. Gillenwater, J.T. Grayhack, S.S. Howards, M.E. Mitchell (eds), Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA, 2002, pp 659 – 753.
30. E.M. McDougall, R.V. Clayman, and R.S. Figenshau: Endourology of the upper urinary tract: Noncalculous applications. In Adult and Pediatric Urology, J.Y. Gillenwater, J.T. Grayhack, S.S. Howards, M.E. Mitchell (eds), Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA, 2002, pp 755 – 828.
31. E.M. McDougall, E.N. Liatsikos, C.Z. Dinlenc and A.D. Smith: Percutaneous approaches to the upper urinary tract. In Campbell’s Urology, Eighth Edition, P.C. Walsh, A.B. Retik, E.D. Vaughan, Jr., A.J. Wein (eds), Saunders, Philadelphia, PA, 2002, pp 3320 – 3360.
32. D.S. Chou and E.M. McDougall: Chapter 1: Endoscopic imaging and instrumentation. In Advanced Endourology: The Complete Clinical Guide. S.Y. Nakada, M.S. Pearle (eds), Humana Press Inc., Totowa, NJ, 2005, pp 3-18.
33. L. Eichel, R.V. Clayman and E.M. McDougall: Basics of Laparoscopic Urologic Surgery, Campbell’s Chapter 7, 9th Edition, P.C. Walsh, A.B. Retik, E.D. Vaughan, Jr., A.J. Wein (eds), Saunders, Philadelphia, PA, 2006, pp 171-220.
34. A. Smith, J. Shah and E.M. McDougall: Percutaneous Management of The Upper Urinary Tract, Campbell’s Chapter 46, 9th Edition, P.C. Walsh, A.B. Retik, E.D. Vaughan, Jr., A.J. Wein (eds), Saunders, Philadelphia, PA, 2006, pp 1526-1563.
35. J. Borin and E.M. McDougall : Ureteral Stent for Ureteral Stricture, Interventional Management of Urological Diseases, S. Baba, Y. Ono (eds), Springer, Tokyo, Japan 2006, pp 75-87.
36. E.M. McDougall, F. Khan, F. Corica, A. Shalhav and R. Clayman: Simplified hemostatic bolster suturing for laparoscopic partial nephrectomy, Top Tips in Laparoscopic Urology, A Rane, D Painter, F Keeley, Jr. (eds) Euromed Communications, Ltd., England, pp 55-58.
37. R.M. Sweet and E.M. McDougall: Simulation and computer-animated devices: The new minimally invasive skills training paradigm. In Minimally Invasive Genitourinary Procedures, H.N. Winfield (ed), Urologic Clinics of North America, 2008; 35 (3): 519 – 531.
1. R.V. Clayman and E.M. McDougall (eds): Techniques in Endourology: Laparoscopic Urology, Quality Medical Publishing, Inc., St. Louis, MO, 1993, 450 pages.
2. N.J. Soper, R.R. Odem, R.V. Clayman and E.M. McDougall (eds): Essentials of Laparoscopy, Quality Medical Publishing, Inc., St. Louis, MO, 1994, 285 pages.
3. W.E. Kelley, E.M. McDougall and C. Nezhat (Associate Editors): Prevention and Management of Laparoendoscopic Surgical Complications, M.S. Kavic, C.J. Levinson, and P.A. Wetter (eds), Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, Inc., Miami, FL, 2005.
4. E.M. McDougall, D. Finley, R.V. Clayman, H. N. Winfield, I. S. Gill, S. Y. Nakada, A. L. Shalhav, R. K. Babayan, R. E. Sosa: Resident Handbook, Basic Urologic Laparoscopy, American Urological Association Education and Research, Inc. 2005.
Canadian Urological Association
American Urological Association
American Board of Urology
Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons
American Association of Genitourinary Surgeons
American College of Surgeons
Society of University Urologists
Chair of the Office of Education for the American Urological
ACGME – Urology Milestone Advisory Role Ad Hoc
Masters in Health Profession Education
University of Chicago at Illinois 2006—2008
Endourology, Washington University, St. Louis 1987—1988
Clinical Fellow in Female Urology, Washington University, St. Louis 1990—1991
Teaching and Learning Fellowship, University of Southern California, Los Angeles 2004—2005
|Research Center||C3REST Surgical Education Center, UC Irvine Medical Center School of Medicine|
|Link to this profile||http://www.faculty.uci.edu/profile.cfm?faculty_id=5743|